Thursday, July 9, 2026

What's Living in Your Yard? Free Insect Surveys for Jericho Residents


Have you ever wondered what butterflies, bees, beetles, and other fascinating insects are visiting your yard?


If you have flowers blooming or other interesting habitats, I'd be happy to conduct a free yard insect survey for Jericho residents. 

During a one- to two-hour visit, I'll photograph the insects and other invertebrates I find using macro photography and upload the observations to iNaturalist, where you—and scientists around the world—can view the records anytime. These observations help document local biodiversity and contribute to ongoing research. 

I will send you a link to view the photos of the insects I photograph in your yard. They will always be at that link any time you want to view them.

If interested, please let me know your street address, town, day and time that works for you, and optionally a phone number to reach you.


If you'd like your yard (insect) surveyed, please send me:

  • Your Jericho street address
  • A day (or days) of the week that work for you
  • A time when I can spend an hour or two exploring your yard
  • There's no cost—just an opportunity to discover who's sharing your backyard and to add valuable observations to Vermont's growing record of biodiversity.

The Insect Survey "Yard Invite" Program is one of the many initiatives offered by the Vermont Entomology Academy


This year I'm especially interested in photographing butterflies in support of the Vermont Center for Ecostudies' Butterfly Atlas and native bees as part of the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies program for native bees of regional concern in the NE*. Of course, I'll also photograph beetles, flies, dragonflies, true bugs, and any other insects I encounter.

Bug watching (Inverting*) is the new birding!

* Inverting is the joy of observing invertebrates.
-Bugeyedbernie


A sampling of Past participants' comments: 

  • A BIG THANK YOU. You've likely brought me back to iNaturalist for the long term.
  • Thanks so much for this! I like the elegance of the Eastern Forktail.  I looked up more info, which confirmed my recollection that they're similar predators to dragonflies and are used a lot as flies for fly-fishing.  Glad to have them around our ponds. 
  • These are so much fun to look at! One of the Eastern Forktails looks like it was looking right at you, Bernie! 
  • I am so happy to hear that our diversity of plantings is having a positive effect. It’s what we hoped. Thanks for the confirmation. You’ll be welcome anytime.
  • I’m amazed at the variety of species of bees in our meadow; mind-blowing! Come back anytime.
  • Hi Bernie, these are so cool!  Thanks for sending me just a few of the exciting critters who share my little plot of land.


Eye Candy

Butterflies I've documented in Jericho:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=55393&taxon_id=47224&user_id=bugey[...]any

One of my favorite species is the Baltimore Checkerspot. They're surprisingly docile, not easily startled, and will sometimes land on a hand to sip salts from your skin.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=55393&taxon_id=58578&user_id=bugey[...]any

Learn about the butterfly species known from Vermont:
https://vtbugeyed.blogspot.com/2026/04/jericho-vermont-butterflies-species-not.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your comment will appear once the moderator views and accepts it.