Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Inverting (insect watching) is the new birding



My nature-inspired comic #55 in December, introduced the term "Inverting" which means invertebrate watching as birding is to bird watching. I am an 'inverter' & bird watcher!           

The Christmas bird count leaves me dreaming of Inverting.        

         Bernie breaks through his introversion by Inverting 


I have no Egrets, going from birding to inverting,
was feeling under the feather,
now I am riding high over an exoskeleton thus asserting;

from keratin to chitin,
from vertebrates to invertebrates,
from stiff warbler neck to
 bumblebee buzz pollination
 there is a whole lot of shaking going on.

I am converting - in part.

Thought birds were smart 
until I observed a spelling bee 
as a bird lister, I needed a pencil & paper chart
as an invertebrate lister, I need a calculator 
so many more species, you see.

My Big (inverting) Year
covered miles and miles of walking
all in my 1.3-acre backyard - quite near.

I don't know all the invertebrate's names
but that's ok
cause no one has made that claim
millions of them haven't been discovered yet
never mind given names
so bring your net and  
swish and swing away.

My birder friends 
are getting used to my makeover
 looking into flowers
instead of trees

Perhaps I am really 
an insect watcher
and not a true inverter
yet
after all, I have observed
only
five or six hundred species
in our
backyard.

The benefit
If my neck gets sore 
from looking up at birds
 (Warbler neck)
I can always 
look down
while six legs
and (one or) two pairs of wings
scramble and fly about.

From birder to an inverter
I have found the cure for Warbler neck

am
a
nature 
inverter and birder.

                                       - Bernie Paquette


No comments:

Post a Comment